This webpage is for the 2020 Russian Railroads tournament under the auspices of the Boardgame Players Association (BPA). To register for the tournament, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Yucata user name. In order to play, you must be a current member of the BPA for 2020. If you are not already a member, associate memberships may be obtained for as little as $10 for the entire year. Details can be found at http://www.boardgamers.org/
Here are the rules and guidelines for the tournament.
- All games will be played on Yucata. If you have never used the site, it is easy and free. Just register and send me your user name and email address (if different from the one you use to send me your user name) to enroll in the tournament.
- All games will be four-player games. For the first round, each player will play in four games at the same time, with different opponents.
- Games are asynchronous, but the expectation is that you will check your games approximately daily or more frequently. Life happens and delays will occur, but be aware that the Yucata site removes any game in which a turn has not been taken in 30 days. Please do not sign up if you think you will not be able to keep up.
- Advancement to the semifinal will be based on the following criteria:
- Most games won (out of four)
- Closest second place finish as a percentage of the winning score
- Highest margin of victory in best game as a ratio of the winning score to the second place score
- Total raw score in all four games
- The number of players in the semifinal will be half the total number of entrants, rounded down, not to exceed 16. To the extent possible, players will be seeded such that the top seeds will not face each other in the semifinal.
- The semifinal will use the same advancement criteria. The top four players will play a single game for the top four spots. The fifth and sixth spots will go to the first two alternates, using the advancement criteria listed above.
- Projected start date is July 25, since most of us were probably planning to play games starting on that day anyway.
- Deadline for entering will be July 15 (but see below) to give me time to verify with the BPA that all entrants are members. NOTE: since there has not been a BPA newsletter yet this summer, I may extend the deadline until we have enough registered players to run the tournament. The deadline will likely be within a week of when the newsletter comes out. Contact me, Jay Spencer, with any questions or to enter. My email address is email@example.com. Enjoy!